Friday, January 29, 2010

Education in the Uk

Had the pleasure of taking my daughter to her high school on Tuesday evening to discuss options for GCSE subjects.
It is common for the 'Daily Mail' diehards to knock state education and teachers, but I can only comment on my own experiences as a father of 2 children.

I was extremely impressed by the school, the teachers and the choice of subjects for the children. The enthusiasm of the teachers towards both the subject matter and pupils was refreshing and contrasts with some of my own school experiences. Children are no longer force fed facts; they are encouraged to discuss and think about the subject matter and form their own opinions. I am convinced that as a result they become more rounded individuals.

Sure the system is not perfect, but the far greater underlying issue is the lack of parenting and social responsibility in the wider population. Well done teachers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment